Student Essay Prize
The SCMS War and Media Studies Special Interest Group invites submissions to its Graduate Student Writing Award on an annual basis. A $100 cash prize will be awarded to the outstanding essay on any topic related to war and media studies. The award panel will consist of the SIG co-chairs and two scholars with expertise in the field. The deadline for submissions is in early December. See the Blog feed for the annual announcement and effective deadline.
- Entrants must be enrolled on a recognized program of graduate study at the time of submitting work to the competition.
- Entrants must be members of SCMS and the War and Media Studies SIG.
- Essays should be between 6,000 and 8,000 words (including references) and be formatted as PDFs.
- Submissions may have been prepared as coursework essays, or as part of a dissertation or thesis.
- Essays must not have been published or accepted for publication at the time of entry.
- The author’s name and affiliation should not appear anywhere on the essay. An application form, to be submitted as a separate document to the essay, is available here.
- Applicants may only submit one essay in any given year.
- Co-authored works will share the $100 cash prize between authors.
- The deadline for submissions is the first Friday of December annually. The winner will be announced at the SCMS War and Media SIG meeting in Chicago.
Applicants should send their completed forms and essays as separate documents to the Graduate Student Representative of the War and Media Studies SIG.
For 2016, that is Eileen Rositzka <email@example.com>